Penn and Teller review

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
Posting live from Las Vegas.
Went to see Penn and Teller last night. OK show, not a whole lot of magic to be honest. Mostly Penn walking around the stage boasting about his "Libertarian" views.
I did get to meet them after the show. Penn was ok..Teller was hysterical. I got him to sign a deck of cards.
All in all a fun night out with my wife.
Cheers!

EricR5

Elite Member
Jul 18, 2015
Interesting, the show must have changed significantly in the last year. When I saw them last summer, I recall only one piece where anything libertarian came up, and it was during a fun TSA effect. The show I saw featured some great magic, including several Teller did alone, which were my favorites (the fishbowl Miser's dream, needle-swallowing, and of course shadows). I also thought the cell phone to fish was very entertaining, and overall I had a great experience at the show.

Reactions: Josh Burch

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Posting live from Las Vegas.
Went to see Penn and Teller last night. OK show, not a whole lot of magic to be honest. Mostly Penn walking around the stage boasting about his "Libertarian" views.
I did get to meet them after the show. Penn was ok..Teller was hysterical. I got him to sign a deck of cards.
All in all a fun night out with my wife.
Cheers!

I know they have a huge repertoire, I'm surprised to hear that there wasn't a ton of magic.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It depends on what you call "a ton of magic".

They don't crank out tricks one after the other. Their routines have carefully written scripts and/or blocking, and they are paced to create the perfect story for each routine.

I think they have the perfect amount for them, but I can understand why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. Particularly if one is not looking for magic that expresses certain views.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
It depends on what you call "a ton of magic".

They don't crank out tricks one after the other. Their routines have carefully written scripts and/or blocking, and they are paced to create the perfect story for each routine.

I think they have the perfect amount for them, but I can understand why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. Particularly if one is not looking for magic that expresses certain views.

Paul Draper performs and hour long show with 5 or 6 effects I've seen some magicians do it with less.

There is also an experiencial illusion at the end of many shows. For some reason when I leave concerts, they may have played 15 songs but I only remember 3 really well. It makes it feel like they only played a few different songs. This happens with magic for me all the time.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Paul Draper performs and hour long show with 5 or 6 effects I've seen some magicians do it with less.

Same. My hour long show has 5 or 6 distinct routines.

Watch Wayne Dobson squeeze every drop of entertainment out of nearly 7 minutes doing a sponge ball transposition:

Oct 19, 2015
My wife and I were in Vegas last month. Based on recommendations from folks on this website we went and saw Mac King. He was wonderful and as expected a very talented magician and entertainer. After the show we met him and bought a book from him which he signed. I highly recommend him if you like a magician who doesn't use loud noise, smoke and mirrors and light shows to enhance the show. He is a stand up, traditional magician who takes many simple tricks far beyond where I have ever seen them done before.

As for Penn and Teller, Teller is probably one of the best magicians working today! That being said, I would never pay to see their show...as Penn uses that platform to preach politics....which is offensive to me and my wife. It is unfortunate, but true! They even do it sometimes on the TV shows, but not as much as when they are in person....From what I have learned watching Penn on TV he really is not a magician, he is a juggler, fire eater, etc. He has of course learned magic working with Teller, but the true magic genius comes from Mr. Teller.....I also dislike them because on their TV show they frequently disclose how a trick works, then do something to show the trick being done differently! Not ethical if you asked me...!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Wow, this post really caught me off guard because I went and saw Penn and Teller in Vegas about 5 years ago and it was phenomenal. I would have given it a 10/10.

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
Honestly I can count on one hand the short routines they did.
As I stated before. I enjoyed the show and it was a great night. However 4 or 5 two minute routines in a 90 minute show seemed odd.
Now I realize it's Vegas, however I don't drink so I didn't miss anything going for refills lol.
I'm also not a young kid whose attention is held with lasers, smoke and pyrotechnics.
I just thought for the legends they are, there would have been something more.
Cheers.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Honestly I can count on one hand the short routines they did.
As I stated before. I enjoyed the show and it was a great night. However 4 or 5 two minute routines in a 90 minute show seemed odd.
Now I realize it's Vegas, however I don't drink so I didn't miss anything going for refills lol.
I'm also not a young kid whose attention is held with lasers, smoke and pyrotechnics.
I just thought for the legends they are, there would have been something more.
Cheers.
I'm not disagreeing with you, I am just shocked that their show had changed that much in 5 years to be that drastically different.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I saw it last year and there was plenty in it. Some people just want different things from a magic show, I think.

Reactions: CWhite

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
I'm not disagreeing with you, I am just shocked that their show had changed that much in 5 years to be that drastically different.
Oh I know lol...I just wanted to clarify better my review on it. It's all good. Cheers.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results