Rapport by Ollie Mealing

Jan 26, 2016
Well, there is a magician called Ollie Mealing, and he performs a trick on his youtube channel that really intrigues me! This is the link:

I was thinking about what method he uses.
I thought that could be like the Open Prediction, but with a modification.
What do you guys think or know?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
What do I think, what do I know?

I know Ollie Mealing is insanely creative when it comes to magic and creates his own material, and sells very little of it.

I know "Open Prediction" is a plot, not a trick in and of itself. Meaning there are tons of methods for that particular plot, each having its own strengths and weaknesses.

I know Ollie works closely with Derren Brown so he must be quite good at what he does, and very likely has learned a thing or two from that particular master showman.

And I know he performed this very well. A card trick I actually enjoyed watching. A very rare thing indeed.

I think that it's quite likely he came up with a method on his own, so you're going to have trouble replicating it.

I personally think it's better to enjoy the performance rather than break down the method. It's so rare, once you start really learning a lot of magic, to see something that strikes home. The more you know, the less magical magic is. If you find something that really intrigues you, that really makes you feel like you've witnessed something magical - save that. You'll thank me later.

I also think that the only reasons to try to figure out the method are: 1) To prove you're smarter than him (ie: "I know how he did that." syndrome) or 2) to steal his trick. Neither of those are good things.

Please, please trust me when I say this: If you are serious about magic, and you are studying the methods and such, and you find something that gives you that feeling that inspired you in the first place: Leave it be. Just enjoy it.

Jan 26, 2016
No Christopher, I don't wanna steal nothing, and I'm sure I don't have any syndrome. I have seen things that amazes me, and I don't wanna know how those tricks works.
It's like you said:
"you find something that gives you that feeling that inspired you in the first place: Leave it be. Just enjoy it."

I love card magic, I love perfom card magic and amaze people. Ollie is really a very good magician, no doubts!
I really would like to perform this trick for people. That's the reason I wanna know "how it's done".
And, we don't know if Ollie really had created this trick, or if he improves something.
But I never see anyone seeling this trick.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I really would like to perform this trick for people

I suppose you could contact Ollie and see if he will give his permission to use the trick but otherwise you would have to steal it.

Personally, when I see someone else do something, I don't do that (At least, not the way they did it). I prefer my performances to be unique

Reactions: dangalhardo

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
The plot is closer to do as I do. Braue's Encyclopedia of magic has like 10 versions of the trick and a couple that have virtually the same effect as this. We can't talk about specific methods, but if you'd like to perform a trick like Ollie's then that's a good starting place.

Reactions: dangalhardo
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results